Thursday, January 12, 2012

All hail king Elvis???



Ladies, please forgive me as I need to vent about something.  I am slightly upset at the way our nation has taken a turn for the worst.  See, I noticed the other day as I was perusing the newspaper an article that said, "ALL HAIL KING ELVIS" I about fell out of my seat. What has this world come to? I mean, let's be honest, their is only one person you should be saying all hail to, and that is King Jesus...Amen?  It talks about how his birthday was this past Monday, and they had a huge celebration on his behalf.  They even brought in Jose Feliciano to sing Feliz Navidad and Happy Birthday in both Spanish and English. This causes me to ask the question, Am I putting things and people in place of God?


Who are you celebrating?
Many people are quick to talk about and celebrate President's birthday's, little cupid on Valentines, the Easter Bunny, and Old Saint Nick around Christmas, but how much do we celebrate Jesus and what he has done for us? Now I am not saying that we are not supposed to have fun, or become weird with our Christianity. What I am saying is that as much effort we put into celebrating certain Icons of this world on their holidays, and even in sports and entertainment, we should be giving that and more to the creator of this world. We put such value on our jobs, people, and who we want to be when we get older, that we forget our purpose in life. It isn't to look like a certain model, or get that dream job, It is to fulfill the plans God has placed inside of me and you! And the only way to achieve that is to first accept that Jesus died for you over two thousand years ago and realize that you were made to fellowship with him. Just yesterday our pastor's brother came to town to speak to all of us about what God has planned for 2012, and one of the things he said was that the universe literally is made for the Heavens. Now the heavens were made for the earth, and the earth was made for humans to live. He follows up with so why were we made? We were made because God wanted a family and so he made us to have fellowship with us. 


What does this mean for me? 
So why am I saying all this? Well, mostly I just wanted to vent about how much praise we place as a society on things and people instead of giving our attention to the one who made us. But I also wanted to say that I believe we are all created for a reason, this seems to be the anthem of 2012, and God has a purpose for you and for me. In knowing that, don't you want to know WHAT that purpose is? I know I do. So instead of celebrating and "worshiping" cause that is what you do when you say things like "all hail the king" to someone, why not look up? Because Jesus said in the bible, "I am the way, the truth, and the life, no one can come to the father except through me" (John 14:6) The Contemporary English Version says, "I am the way, the truth, and the life!” Jesus answered. “Without me, no one can go to the Father."
What he is saying here is that the only way to live this life and go into eternity with a true joy surpasses every hard time you go through in this life, then you must accept that Jesus died for you and walk in His grace for you every day until you leave this earth and go to be with him for eternity.   So we should take every effort to be careful how we view people, and how we view the Lord. When we start talking more about a person here on earth than we do our heavenly father, then we need to step back and ask ourselves is this healthy? Should I be putting more value on this person than Jesus, and the answer should always be No.


Ok, I think I am done venting. I hope you found some sort of encouragement and learned something in this. Hope you have a wonderful day.


Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment