Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Imitating Daddy

             
                                    (kate, 2012, June 7th)
There was a man by the name James, and James was married and had a son named Danny. Well, everyday for a week Danny kept hiding his daddy's shoes until finally James sat down with his son to figure out what was going on. When asked about the shoes, the son looked innocently into his daddy's eyes and said, "Daddy, you said I am just like you, so I thought I could fit in your shoes."

I am sure most of us at one point and time have wanted to be like our dad, or at least found someone who we wanted to be like. Well, just like little Danny, we are made in the image of God, and though we may not be able to fit in his heavenly shoes, we can learn to imitate his character. When we become Christians, we are reunited with our heavenly father; and one of the things he ask is; to love and help others just as he has loved and always helps us.

I want to read to you a portion from a book I am reading. It is titled, "I DECLARE: 31 Promises to speak over your life" (Osteen, 2012)
Today's declaration was: "I DECLARE that I will live as a healer. I am sensitive to the needs of those around me. I will lift the fallen, restore the broken, and encourage the discouraged. I am full of compassion and kindness. I won't just look for a miracle; I will become someone's miracle by showing God's love and mercy everywhere I go. This is my declaration." (Osteen, pg.87)
The bible says as Christians, we are the body of Christ. In literal terms we have been given the authority and power from heaven to use our hands to heal the sick, use our feet to go minister the gospel and help those in need, and so on. In Hebrews 12 it says, "We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects our faith..." (NLT) In other words, you could say that as we look to Jesus who was the perfect example of God, and we walk in obedience to his word, we will find ourselves imitating the very character of God.

So what is his character?
As we read the bible, we will find that God's character is, " Love, Joy(gladness), peace, patience (I heard someone once say, "Long-suffering"), kindness, goodness, faithfulness, Gentleness, self-control." (AMP) All through the bible it describes God as love, and 1 Corinthians says," Love patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and keeps no records of being wronged. It does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstances...love last forever! " (NLT)

How do we imitate daddy?
As we read and study God's Word, pray often - and this doesn't mean you are on your knees 24/7, but always talking w/God like you would a friend-, and walk in obedience to what he says, then you will find yourself acting just like him. Just as children, after they are grown, have become even a small part of their parents; we too can grow to become like our father up above.

Prayer: Daddy, I want to become just like you. Help me and shape me Holy Spirit to imitate God with each and every action, word, and deed. When others look at me, or even hear my name, let them only think of how I represented the character of God when he was on this earth. In the name of Jesus, Amen.

Citations:
1. Bible; 1 Cor. 13:4-8b; New Living Translation 

2. Bible; Galatians 5:22; New Living Translation

3. Bible; Heb 12:2; New Living Translation

4.Kate; Blog; 2012, June 7th; Web; http://katescreativespace.com/tag/babies/

5. Osteen, Joel; I DECLARE: 31 Promises to Speak Over Your Life;  Book; September 2012

6. Osteen, Joel; I DECLARE; Pg 87

No comments:

Post a Comment